Sunday 4 August 2013

Christian music festival brings the word to Springfield Township

The festival began more then ten years ago and draws hundreds to Codorus Church of the Brethren.


By BARB KREBS For the Daily Record/Sunday News


Updated: 08/04/2013 08:09:12 PM EDT


The hills and hollows near Codorus Church of the Brethren echoed Sunday with the sounds of Christian music on day two of Dunkard Valley Live, a free Christian Music Festival featuring a variety of music styles.


Neal Bollinger of Littlestown was waiting to take the stage as part of a trio called New Season, marking the fourth year the group has been part of the festival.


"This is our ministry. We sing what I would call country southern gospel, and we do a little contemporary. We really do a mix of things," he said.


Marlee Shaw, 8, of Glen Rock, was helping with face painting and arts and crafts for children. Pianist Donna Lerew of York was taking a lunch break from her duties as accompanist and hostess. Cora Metzler of Dallastown was selling festival T-shirts and helping people find they way around.


"I think the music is very good," Frank Lehman of Dallastown said.


"We've been here before. We visit the church a lot," added his wife, Sheryl Lehman.


Rachel Brenneman of York Township and Becky Lesher of Jacobus were finishing lunch and listening to the music.


"I really like Freely Captured," Brenneman said.


The group, described in the program as "a hard rock band dedicated to our Lord Jesus Christ and the expansion of His kingdom," was the final act on Saturday.


Planning the menu and organizing help in the kitchen has been the job of Cindy Miller of Spring Garden Township since the event began. The menu featured burgers in sauce, pretzel sandwiches, chicken tenders, tacos in a bag, french fries and a variety of drinks, she said.


"I guess they asked me to do food because I like to eat," Miller said. "I have great help and we have lots of people who donate equipment. I get everything ready in advance and turn things over to Susie McKinnelly on festival days."


The idea for the festival was born more then ten years ago when Becky Innerst of Red Lion



attended Creation.


"God laid it on me to do this," she said. "I was just overwhelmed with the idea and I said 'God, I can't even sing,' but he kept telling me this was something he wanted me to do."


She took the idea to Duane Bahn of Springfield Township, and while he is the event's official organizer, he makes it clear that he and Innerst shoulder the festival along with the rest of their team.


"When she came to me, I said 'let's do it,'" he said. "Over the years we have had anywhere from two to three hundred people to seven to eight hundred people attend the festival."


Everyone volunteers their time, from the groups that perform, to the people who help with the food and everything else.


"God has blessed us with this ministry," Bahn said.


Read more

Nick Pandelidis: Social justice - a Christian perspective (column).


New Christian school to open in York.


No comments:

Post a Comment